Re: Allison XR7000 wiring and setup on TR6?

To: ahwahnee@cybertrails.com (Geo Hahn), triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Allison XR7000 wiring and setup on TR6?
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 16:22:51 -0500
In a message dated 11/4/2003 3:49:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ahwahnee@cybertrails.com writes:

>  >I have a Lucas sport coil, also from the late 70's, and did not
> install a balance unit for the XR 700.  Does anyone know if this coil has
> internal ballast?
> >
> On some Lucas coils you can look on the bottom for a '6' or a '12'.  Now
> the part that gets me confused... which is which?

AFAIK, that simply indicates a 6v or 12v coil.

> I think a 6V has an internal ballast but there's about a 50% chance I'm
> wrong.

There's as good a chance that I'm wrong, but I didn't think Lucas made an
"internally ballasted" coil. The ballast resistors used on Triumphs were either
external ceramic bits or special wire built into the wiring harness, depending
on year. On those cars so equipped (roughly 1971 and later models), the cars
used 6v coils. Previously, unless the electrical system itself was 6v, the cars
used 12v coils.

Or maybe not. Like I said, I could be wrong here.... ;-)

--Andy Mace