Re: Blown Lucas fuses

To: ryoung@navcomtech.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Blown Lucas fuses
From: Percybal@aol.com
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 17:23:42 EDT
In a message dated 5/30/2003 8:44:05 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
ryoung@navcomtech.com writes:

> > Strange that we never hear (read) complaints from those who understand
> > and practice
> > the correct wiring size and color codes or have chucked the botched wiring
> > from DPOs and replaced with a new harness.
>
> You want complaints ?!?
>
> The original Lucas brake/turn signal sockets on my Stag rely on two
> dissimilar metals, held together only by a thin plastic housing, to complete
> the bulb ground.  That's insane, it's a miracle they work as well as they
> do.  (BTW, the TR6 uses the same socket, and Nelson Riedel has written an
> excellent article on how to solve the problem.)
>
> The original Lucas fuse holder (again on my Stag, which was _supposed_ to be
> an upscale car) uses bare copper contacts with no sign of tin plating.
> Substandard even for a Yugo !  Copper quickly oxidizes when exposed to air,
> and copper oxide is a poor conductor.
>
> But, it's worth noting that fuse selection (and presence), wire size,
> ground, etc. can not be blamed on Lucas.  They only sold the components, it
> was Standard-Triumph/British Leyland/etc. that chose to skimp on fuses and
> whatnot.  Clearly they knew better, the Stag has some 14 original fuses ...
> but still the rear lamps are grounded only by being bolted to a painted
> surface instead of having an honest ground wire!
>
> Randall

 Now Randall, you shouldn't complain....after all, your Stag is
 probably over 25 years old and running. Not bad for a model that
 started out life with such poor repute, and a testament to the
 skills and knowledge of an owner that more than likely has
 turned the car into the model its designers originally intended.
 I have not stood in front of or worked on a Stag for many
 years, but I do remember when consulting the repair manual
 about a repair operation it always seemed to begin with
 something to the effect of "remove the exhaust system" or something
 of that order to complete the repair. Not an easy car to conduct
 repairs. Actually, the Stag is not a car for the mechanically disinclined
 or ill-prepared. If anyone is either one of those entities, I would suggest
 a well endowed bank account to pay someone to make the repairs.

 Percy Ballentine
 P.S. The Yugo came after the Stag. PB