RE: Blown Lucas fuses

To: "List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Blown Lucas fuses
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 20:39:43 -0700 FILETIME=[460F6380:01C32726]
> Strange that we never hear (read) complaints from those who understand
> and practice
> the correct wiring size and color codes or have chucked the botched wiring
> from DPOs and replaced with a new harness.

You want complaints ?!?

The original Lucas brake/turn signal sockets on my Stag rely on two
dissimilar metals, held together only by a thin plastic housing, to complete
the bulb ground.  That's insane, it's a miracle they work as well as they
do.  (BTW, the TR6 uses the same socket, and Nelson Riedel has written an
excellent article on how to solve the problem.)

The original Lucas fuse holder (again on my Stag, which was _supposed_ to be
an upscale car) uses bare copper contacts with no sign of tin plating.
Substandard even for a Yugo !  Copper quickly oxidizes when exposed to air,
and copper oxide is a poor conductor.

But, it's worth noting that fuse selection (and presence), wire size,
ground, etc. can not be blamed on Lucas.  They only sold the components, it
was Standard-Triumph/British Leyland/etc. that chose to skimp on fuses and
whatnot.  Clearly they knew better, the Stag has some 14 original fuses ...
but still the rear lamps are grounded only by being bolted to a painted
surface instead of having an honest ground wire!

Randall