RE: Old chestnut revisited

To: "'John Macartney '" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>, "'RayAntoky@aol.com '" <RayAntoky@aol.com>, "'triumphs@autox.team.net '" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Old chestnut revisited
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 10:09:20 -0400
Hi John:

vis using the original equipment manufacturers of upmarket models as a
guide. It's not a bad idea, but it's not a guarantee of success.

It is very common for manufacturers to commission special runs of their
products for OE applications. Usually the products have little to do with
their standard practices and quality levels and more with a volume order
done as a special consignment.

Now, no sniggering, I know it's not a Rolls or AM, but when I bought a new
Buick Regal coupe in 1991 I had it loaded with the special suspension and
mags and tires amongst all the other trim and electrical stuff. It came
along with Goodyear sport tires. Now Goodyear does make good tires, just not
the units I got. They always drove poorly, slipping and planing. Noisy too.
When after a couple of years the front end started screeching on every
corner at any speed (despite careful alignement checks) I decided that the
front tires were worn out and called up Goodyear to order 2 to match the
rear OE tires. The guy laughed over the phone and said "Oh no we don't sell
those, they are OE sport units made by us for GM and way below the quality
of our worst tires. Please come in and we'll show you something good". So I
ended up buying a set of Goodyear Aquatreds IIs. Best switch I ever made on
a tire. Unbelievable change in ride and on tires made by the same
manufacturer. (I still use Aquatred IIIs, amazing to hit 3-4" of puddle at
70 mph and not even slow down or swerve)

The point of the story is that what you see installed as OE equipment on a
car may be above, below or way out in space compared to the equipment sold
by the same manufacturer in their retail stores. Be especially leery if the
model of the equipment has a special name or is not on their regular
catalog.

It's quite possible that the oil filter testers out their have been
examining parts that came with the car using the same model number etc. but
having little resemblence to the off-the-shelf items sold in the store. This
is definitely common practice. I have a friend with an automotive
manufacturing plant building tracked vehicles and I have definitely seen the
difference between what filters etc. come on his very expensive diesel
engines from the manufacturer and what he buys to replace then with before
sending them out into the field. Same model numbers and paint, different
insides.

For me equipment selection for the TR is a question of asking the list. I
have learned invaluable information from this list and it has never guided
me wrong. Sometimes proved me wrong, but then that's what its for in part.

(homily mode off)

Cheers,

Mark Hooper
72 TR6