Re: Old chestnut revisited

To: "Mark Hooper" <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Old chestnut revisited
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 17:34:10 +0100
>vis using the original equipment manufacturers of upmarket models as
>guide. It's not a bad idea, but it's not a guarantee of success.

I'll certainly drink to that - being a Parts Man for more years than I
care to remember <smile>

>It is very common for manufacturers to commission special runs of
their
>products for OE applications. Usually the products have little to do
with
>their standard practices and quality levels and more with a volume
order
>done as a special consignment.

Entirely agree!

>For me equipment selection for the TR is a question of asking the
list. I
>have learned invaluable information from this list and it has never
guided
>me wrong. Sometimes proved me wrong, but then that's what its for in
part.

That's the point I'm trying to make :) In the last few years I've been
on this list, it's clear that many of us periodically come at the same
basic problem from different directions - and those directions are
often imposed upon us by parts suppliers in the different countries in
which we live. What may go for one country doesn't necessarily apply
to another, or indeed the rest of the world, though I think a lot of
people (ahem, in the *larger markets* and certainly through no fault
of their own) may sometiimes think it does. I'm more than capable of
basing a decision to buy a particular product or brand based on my own
local knowledge of what's available, local reputation and price. At
the end of the day, I think we're all broadly satisfied with what we
get and when it comes to oil filters and my two old bangers, hell -
they're only crappy old Triumphs and not Picasso paintings or a
priceless piece of porcelain. Even so, I love 'em so I'll stick with
Fram/Purolator/Unipart/Coopers filters and Avon tyres :)

Cheers, john