RE: Old chestnut revisited

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Old chestnut revisited
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 04:34:17 -0700
>     Thanks, Ray - an interesting dissertation, though I didn't
> study the whole
> website. It would be more meaningful (to me) if  the site did a comparable
> test for the same filter across several manufacturer versions.
> Apart from the
> data provided, flow rates and micron separation data would have
> been useful.

Exactly.  The 'survey' leaves out the most important part, how good are the
filters at actually removing dirt from the oil ?  The only study I've ever
seen of comparative filtering efficiency placed Fram squarely in the middle
of the pack.

I'll add that I've used Fram oil and air filters for many years, and _never_
had a problem that I attributed to poor filter quality.  The Chevy I bought
new in 1980 went over 250,000 hard miles on a steady diet of Fram filters,
never had the heads or oil pan off.

Randall