Re: Old chestnut revisited

To: <RayAntoky@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Old chestnut revisited
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 09:18:49 +0100
    Ray Antoky wrote:
    Check out the comparative study of most otc oil filtwers in this article
for your edification.

    Thanks, Ray - an interesting dissertation, though I didn't study the whole
website. It would be more meaningful (to me) if  the site did a comparable
test for the same filter across several manufacturer versions. Apart from the
data provided, flow rates and micron separation data would have been useful.
Maybe the site has actually done this but I didn't pick up on it? However, if
$3 is what most people in the States are prepared to pay for a filter, then
I'm not surprised Fram has a lousy reputation. I certainly wouldn't buy one
that cheap. An equivalent of US$6.50 minimum is usually my investment level -
but maybe I'm being ripped off, just like everyone else on this side o't pond?
I've just taken a brand new one (Fram # RR1243 costing GBP 5.43/US$7.60) apart
and can see nothing in its construction that compares with Kinze's findings on
the unit he evaluated. Visually, it's entirely comparable to a
Cooper/Purolator/Unipart spec. Conclusions
    1 Does Fram have variable manufacturing standards around the world?
    2. Is the whole range being condemned because a few trials filters don't
compare to Purolator and Wix?
    2. If Fram is such a low grade product worlwide, then the products I've
used from Fram/Cooper/Purolator/Unipart must be as well? They all look much
the same internally and have very similar constructions but not the same as
described by Kinze
    3. Perhaps it's time to determine who is the OE filter supplier for Aston
Martin and Rolls Royce and go with that/those makes? If its good enough for
them for OE fit, it's good enough for my two old Triumphs <smile> I've always
done that over the years with the tyres
    Thanks for your suggestions
    Jonmac