Re: Old chestnut revisited

To: jonmac@ndirect.co.uk, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Old chestnut revisited
From: RayAntoky@aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 17:40:22 EDT
Jonmac:
Check out the comparative study of most otc oil filtwers in this article for
your edification.
>From the oil filter study page:

http://www.frankhunt.com/FRANK/corvette/articles/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy

.html

<A
HREF="http://www.frankhunt.com/FRANK/corvette/articles/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy.html#fram-ph8a";>Fram
 Extra Guard</A>Years ago Fram was a quality filter manufacturer.  Now their
standard filter (the radioactive-orange cans) is one of the worst out there.
It features cardboard end caps for the filter element that are glued in
place.  The rubber anti-drainback valve seals against the cardboard and
frequently leaks, causing dirty oil to drain back into the pan.  The bypass
valves are plastic and are sometimes not molded correctly, which allows them
to leak all the time.  The stamped-metal threaded end is weakly constructed
and it has smaller and fewer oil inlet holes, which may restrict flow.  I had
one of these filters fail in my previous car.  The filter element collapsed
and bits of filter and glue were circuilating through my system.  The oil
passge to the head became blocked and the head got so hot from oil starvation
that it actually melted the vacuum lines connected to it as well as the wires
near it.
  <A
HREF="http://www.frankhunt.com/FRANK/corvette/articles/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy.html#fram-dg8a";>Fram
 Double Guard</A>Another bad filter idea brought to you by your friends at
Fram.  The filter itself is a slightly improved design over the Fram Extra
Guard, but still uses the same filter element.  It has a silicone
anti-drainback valve, a quality pressure releif valve, and enough inlet holes
for good flow.  The big problem is that they are trying to cash in on the
Slick 50 craze.  They impregnate the filter element with bits of Teflon like
that found in Slick 50.  As with Slick 50, Teflon is a solid and does not
belong in an engine.  It cannot get into the parts of the engine that oil can
and therefore does nothing.  Also, as the filter gets dirty, it ends up
filtering the Teflon right out.  Dupont (the manufacturer of Teflon) does not
recommend Teflon for use in internal combustion engines.  Please do not waste
your money on this filter.

Ray 59 TR3A