Old chestnut revisited

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Old chestnut revisited
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 22:08:47 +0100
Jack McGahey wrote:
I've seen all say that Wix are top quality and avoiding Fram is way
more important than choosing Wix vs Purolator.

Aha - it's that time again <smile> but I'm still none the wiser.
I've used Fram, Purolator, Unipart and Coopers filters at different
times on both my cars with no evident adverse effects. Additionally
and out of curiousity, I've cut all of them in half to see how they
differ. Visually, there's no difference at all - though it's too late
to make objective comparisons in the quality of paper media used.
Pleat count seems the same, non-return valve broadly the same - so why
is Fram such a no-no - apart from its bright orange colour?
I find it hard to believe Fram would have dual manufacturing standards
in the plants they use, wherever they  may be located. So, if Fram
really is the ***p its alleged to be and I can't see the difference
between Fram and other makes I've used, are Purolator, Unipart and
Coopers ***p as well?

Jonmac