Re: Baby Seat

To: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Subject: Re: Baby Seat
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 09:52:34 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>

On Fri, 16 Apr 1999, Brian of Power British Performance Parts, Inc. wrote:

> I would like to make a few comments on this issue.

[BIG snip]

> My point is that you cannot predict the future.  Situations arise everyday
>that could
> end our lives no matter how careful we are or what we may try to do to avoid
>them.
> The decision to let your child ride in your Triumph is yours alone to make,
>but don't
> loose sight of the other risks you routinely take in day to day life....

Thank you, Brian, for replying pretty much as I'd wanted to. There is
only one point I would like to add, with all due respect to Mr. Clark. If
we "shouldn't" properly install an approved infant or child seat in a
Triumph for fear that perhaps nothing can protect the child, then what
business do we have driving these cars ourselves? Surely the risk is no
different, and surely the tragedy is similar whether parent loses child
or child loses parent.

I'm with Brian on this one. I will be as careful as I possibly can be,
and I will take every reasonable safety precaution (belts, etc.) with
myself and any or all passengers regardless of age, and hope for the
best. God forbid an SUV rams me while in a Triumph. God forbid a large
U-Haul rams me while I'm in my SUV. God forbid I should be stupid enough
to challenge a speeding Amtrak at an unprotected crossing while driving a
Triumph, SUV or U-Haul.

At least I have the advantage of quality belts, child seats and such. But
I managed to survive an era when my parents didn't have those items
readily available. I am grateful to have survived that, of course! And it
is one part of the 1950s and 1960s to which I do NOT long to return. Any
of my collector cars WILL have belts in them before they take to the road
again (several already did).

Hopefully it will be a long, long time before my "number is up"; I won't
sit and wait for it, though.

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *