Re: Baby Seat

To: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Baby Seat
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 15:56:16 -0400 ()
On Fri, 16 Apr 1999, Jack Clark wrote:

> Andrew Mace wrote:
>
> ". There is only one point I would like to add, with all due respect to Mr.
> Clark. If we "shouldn't" properly install an approved infant or child seat in
> Triumph for fear that perhaps nothing can protect the child, then what
> business do we have driving these cars ourselves? "
>
> Andrew,
>  Do not confuse this with my previuos heated remarks, but I do not see how
> you could " read into" my statement that you shouldn't properly restrain a
> child, if a child is going to travel in a TR6.

My apologies if my choice of words was not the best, but I read no such
thing into your original statement.

> My opinion is that a child
> should not travel in  ANY small convertible (car seat, or no car seat)
> mainly because there is no roof or back seat to restrain the child....

And I don't happen to agree with that opinion. Perhaps on that point alone
it is absurd to continue this discussion. But...

> Life is full of choices and decisions, I for one choose not to place my
> child in a situation of lesser safety for the sake of fun or enjoyment. To
> me there is no middle ground. All adults have the right to decide what is
> best for one's self, but for your children, in my opinion you  should decide
> to do what is simply the best. You either place your TR6 first, or your
> child first. I hope my son grows to love Triumphs as much as I do. But the
> time for him to appreciate riding in one is not now.

Again, we obviously disagree. If I thought for a split-second that I would
be placing my child in any greater danger because he or she is riding --
PROPERLY RESTRAINED -- in a small, open car rather than any other type of
vehicle simply because it is a small, open car, then I WOULD NOT DO IT.
>From nearly 30 years of driving experience and much observation of crashed
cars of friends and others, I happen to believe that Triumphs are very
good vehicles when it comes to passenger safety, in some cases much better
than some currently available cars of all sizes and shapes.

Meanwhile, I couldn't agree more that nothing is more important to me than
my son and daughter. How you or anyone might assume otherwise is beyond
me.

Each of us has made a choice here. I have no problem with either choice. I
respect your position, as I hope you would respect mine.

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *