Re:Raw fumes are choking me out!

To: "Eric Lukehart" <lukehart@mis.net>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re:Raw fumes are choking me out!
From: Bud_Rolofson@nps.gov (Bud Rolofson)
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 11:35:56 -0500
Eric

Are you sure it's just exhaust fumes and not gas fumes?  Had a similar problem
until I changed the float valves in the carbs.  I think they were letting gas
leak even when the engine was not running so there was some gas fumes around the
carbs and engine that got sucked into the tub.  I've noticed a lot less of the
gassy smell since I changed the valves.  Also replace any bad grommets that you
have in the firewall and/or plug all open holes somehow.  Air flow past the
windows and/or over the top of the tub with the top down acts like a suction
device to pull fumes (whether they be gas OR exhaust fumes) from the engine bay
through any holes in the firewall and into your face.

Bud  71TR6 CC57365
        71TR6 CC65446

Hello list,
Well, I just completed Coating my floors with POR 15 and patching all the
holes in my TR6.  I installed a Moss Moters underfelt and carpet kit and
went for a test drive and was disapointed with the amount of exhaust fumes
in the cabin.  I took the car to Exhaust Pro and they showed me that the
Monza exhaust system was not leaking.  This is very frustrating.  I am
wondering if my car is just putting out to much exhaust.  It idles at 1500
rpms and perhaps it is running to RICH.  I haven't touched the carbs since I
bought the car because it starts, and seems to run fine.  Also the exhaust
isn't black.  The only way the fumes are bearable is with the top down and
even then its noticeable.  Help?
TIA,
Eric 74 TR6