Re: Raw fumes are choking me out!

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Eric Lukehart" <lukehart@mis.net>
Subject: Re: Raw fumes are choking me out!
From: "Lonn Howard" <hoops@owt.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 07:03:18 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
Welcome to the wonderful world of TR6s.  I posted this question a few
months ago and got nothing but blank stares.  I did get lots of direct
mail asking me to forward any good suggestions, so we are not alone.
I too tried the exhaust route.  And my car also continues to stink
even though I replaced the system with a (way too loud) Monza.  I did
reduce the stink considerably by replacing the trunk seal, the rear
seals around the tail lamp housings and lenses, caulking every nook
and cranny in the trunk area, and leaving the fan on high.  I also
made sure every penetration in the firewall is airtight (there are
lots of them) and this improved things a bit.  One of the biggest
improvements came after ensuring that the mixture was correct.  It had
been too rich and that just exacerbates the problem.  Still, my wife
can tell when I've been driving the Six just by the smell on my
clothes.  I give up...

Lonn Howard
'70 TR6  -mine
'71 TR6  -in my garage
'70 MGB GT  -ours
'89 Saab Turbo Convertible  -hers

"We are but temporary custodians with an obligation of preservation."