RE: TR4 leaking engine rear oil seal

To: GERARD_WINN@HP-France-om9.om.hp.com
Subject: RE: TR4 leaking engine rear oil seal
From: sanborn@net1plus.com
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 09:05:31 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

Gerard,

>     Does anybody have any experience of changing the rear
engine oil seal
>     on a TR4? Apparently this is a fairly common problem
on the TRs.

My experience is that the oil seal does not wear and in fact
never touches the crankshaft surface.  It works based a
vacuum existing inside the engine and the swirl pattern
"tens" to push the oil back into the engine.

When the oil is coming out rather than staying in... it is
most likely caused by a faulty PCV valve causing positive
pressure to blow out through the seal.

>     I have the gearbox, clutch and flywheel out of the
car. How much more
>     do I need to remove to change the seal? Do I need to
go as far as the
>     crankshaft, and if so, is this a real pain with the
engine still in
>     the car?

I am not a big expert but... the seal can't be aligned
properly with out a special tool that gets inserted in the
crankshaft position.  The clearences are critical.

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4  CT16260L  Groton,MA
sanborn@net1plus.com