RE: RE: TR4 leaking engine rear oil seal

To: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: RE: TR4 leaking engine rear oil seal
From: "Arthur H. Smith" <arthurhsmith@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 16:43:17 -0500
Gerard, asks
>     do I need to remove to change the seal? Do I need to go as far as the
crankshaft

 Brian Sanborn answers

>I am not a big expert but... the seal can't be aligned
>properly with out a special tool that gets inserted in the
>crankshaft position.  The clearences are critical.

I add in:
TR4 & TR4A manual printed by AUTOPRESS 1971 agrees with Brian.
But the shop manual for my Jag says to use the same process (different
tool). I just coated the seal with the PTFE oil additive and placed the
crank in and torqued the sucker down to specs. 2 years no leaks (from the
rear seal), its a Brit car.....

the arthur
kit car aka 69 GT6
garage ornament aka 82 Jag