TR4 leaking engine rear oil seal

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 leaking engine rear oil seal
From: GERARD_WINN@HP-France-om9.om.hp.com
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 12:55:09 +0100

     Hi Fellow Triumph Fans,

     Does anybody have any experience of changing the rear engine oil seal
     on a TR4? Apparently this is a fairly common problem on the TRs.

     I have the gearbox, clutch and flywheel out of the car. How much more
     do I need to remove to change the seal? Do I need to go as far as the
     crankshaft, and if so, is this a real pain with the engine still in
     the car?

     Any guidance would be gratefully appreciated!

     Gerard Winn (A Brit living in France)
     1963 TR4