Re: TR4 leaking engine rear oil seal

To: GERARD_WINN@HP-France-om9.om.hp.com
Subject: Re: TR4 leaking engine rear oil seal
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 07:43:45 -0600 (CST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Wed, 27 Jan 1999 GERARD_WINN@HP-France-om9.om.hp.com wrote:

>      Hi Fellow Triumph Fans,
>
>      Does anybody have any experience of changing the rear engine oil seal
>      on a TR4? Apparently this is a fairly common problem on the TRs.
>
>      I have the gearbox, clutch and flywheel out of the car. How much more
>      do I need to remove to change the seal? Do I need to go as far as the
>      crankshaft, and if so, is this a real pain with the engine still in
>      the car?
>
>      Any guidance would be gratefully appreciated!

        The common wisdom is if it's leaking a little leave it alone. If
        it's pouring out, change it. The rear seal is two chunks of
        aluminum ridged to act with the spiral cut groove at the back of
        the crank shaft... It keeps oil in by throwing the oil back into
        the sump when it tries to leak past. Clearance tolerances are VERY
        CRITICAL and it's easy to get it wrong on replacement. The whole
        seal assembly requires careful attention as there are several
        spots other than the seal itself that can leak.

        AFAIK it cannot be done with the engine in the car...

        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois