re: Triumph PI System info

To: Steve Sutton <ssutton@ridgenet.net>
Subject: re: Triumph PI System info
From: Anthony Gordon <tgordon@saginaw-city.k12.mi.us>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 22:38:00 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, 6 Pack Digest <6packlist@mfasco.com>
Hi Steve,

Good to hear from you again.  You probably have realized that my route to
fixing the carb. needle problem on my car is to go to PI .... only joking.
Anyway, back to the problem that had lead to trading messages:  I picked up
a couple of secondhand 175-ZSs and can now trade a piston assembly for the
damaged one once the white stuff disappears.  Then tuning should be a
breeze .....

On the PI front, I've always been impressed by the PI system and the extra
horses.  That led to my research on getting a system, although I should say
that I haven't seen it in the flesh (although I was impressed by the guy
who is  selling the PI system: the fact that they are willing to put the PI
metering unit on a working TR6 and try it out swung it for me!) so I hope
that it will meet up with my expectations.  Will let you know.

This topic must be of some interest: I'm getting a lot of emails on- and
off- the list, and most posts have been a superb resource on this topic:
the Auzzies and New Zealanders, in particular, (thank you, our antipodean
neighbours! -plz note the spelling) are well up on this stuff - see
http://www.mit.edu/people/zimerman/Documents/tr6/carbtoPI.html
for more info (many thanks Peter Cebalo <cebalo@NthShore.govt.nz>
for that ref.)

One thing that did come thro' the list is the fact that the early US TR6
heads are apparently not compatible with the PI throttle bodies (up to CC
75000).  I've looked at Piggott and TRF but really don't have a handle on
that fact (JonMac? Bob Lang?).  I can't imagine that Triumph actually had 2
different heads for the UK and the US ... advice appreciated (particularly
by those owning cars upto CC75000 who might like to go the PI route).

On the cam front, I'll stick with the current cam (69-72 US spec)- which
appears to be the same as the 2.5 PI saloon that turned out 135bhp.  If I
go to the PI cam, I'll end up in the modified class for SCCA autocross,
although I would get the extra bhp (orig. carb: 105, early US/late PI cam:
135bhp, TR5/early TR6 PI: 150bhp).  I should say that the above figs are
with different compression ratios for carb. and PI engines: however, I'm
allowed to clean up the head to square the surfaces, but to go from 7.75 to
9.5 might be a bit much for a clean-up skim!!

I will document the process, and will email it to you at a later date.  I
also hope to post the entire op. to the Triumph FAQs file.

Cheers

Tony

>Hello Tony,
>
>Interesting post on the PI system for your 6.  I have been eyeing a similar
>mod for my 6 now that it is exempt from California smog checks.
>
>I'll look forward to your posts on the condition of the PI items and install.
>Are you planning on installing the PI cam in your '72 as well?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Steve Sutton

  Anthony Gordon                        Technology Education Consultant
  Saginaw Public Schools                tel:    1-517-797-4855
  ISDC, 1505 Ottawa Blvd                fax:    1-517-797-4880
  Saginaw, MI 48602, USA                email:  tgordon@saginaw-city.k12.mi.us