RE: Triumph PI System info

To: "Hutmacher, Greg" <ghutmacher@stanleyworks.com>
Subject: RE: Triumph PI System info
From: Anthony Gordon <tgordon@saginaw-city.k12.mi.us>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 17:22:45 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Greg,

The $1000 sounds more than a little high - I have spent some months trying
to find a realistic price (aka, one I could afford!), and Woodbridge seem
to be reasonable as well as reliable (hope I ain't speaking too soon ...).

The vapor lock problem seems to be well known.  The solution is to do one
of two things.  Buy or construct the cooling loop system that allows the
unused fuel returning to the tank to conduct heat away from the Lucas
winscreen wiper motor adapted to become a high pressure fuel pump (how do
they screw up so many things ...?), basically, the tube wraps around the
pump body about 10 times (I think TRF or Rimmers show one in their
catalog).  Second route: replace the Lucas unit with a low pressure
(18-30lb/sq in) unit from a European import or a domestic car.  The high
pressure from the Lucas pump isn't actually needed (so I've been told, but
since my stuff isn't here and on the car, maybe I should wait).  If that's
so I'll get a pump and filter from a bone yard (I recon a Taurus pump and
filter for about $25 would be OK).

Incidentally, I don't think you can get new metering units, but both Moss
UK and Rimmers carry rebuilt and guaranteed units for about GBP170.

Tony

At 17:08 1/16/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I am looking into the same thing.  A guy on the list told me he could get
>the whole system from UK for about $1000 US including a new metering unit.
>Maybe it's the same source.  My concerns relate to vapor lock.  I remember
>reading stories in the past about PI systems vapor locking in the heat.  The
>TRF TR5 did this and they had to put a bag of ice on top of the fuel pump in
>the trunk to keep it going.  I live in Texas where it gets VERY hot in the
>summer.  Please keep me posted on your system.  I may want to follow and do
>the same thing depending on your experience.
>Thanks, Greg
>76 TR6
>68 MGB/GT

  Anthony Gordon                        Technology Education Consultant
  Saginaw Public Schools                tel:    1-517-797-4855
  ISDC, 1505 Ottawa Blvd                fax:    1-517-797-4880
  Saginaw, MI 48602, USA                email:  tgordon@saginaw-city.k12.mi.us