Re: Triumph PI System info

To: "Hutmacher, Greg" <ghutmacher@stanleyworks.com>
Subject: Re: Triumph PI System info
From: "Irv Korey" <emanteno@ibm.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 22:01:51 -0600
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> From: Hutmacher, Greg <ghutmacher@stanleyworks.com>

> My 68 MGB/GT has an electric fuel pump that is mounted underneath the
> chassis just forward off the rear axle on the right side.  It is below
the
> fuel tank.  I've never heard of a vapor lock problem with MG's.  Could
this
> be because of the fuel pump being at a lower level than the tank?  If so,
> should the TR6 PI fuel pump be mounted down low under the chassis to cure
> vapor lock as you mentioned?  By the way, I've never suffered vapor lock,
> but doesn't vapor lock typically occur when a car is sitting in the heat
> (like when you stop to go to the store) as opposed to while driving?

The TR6 PI pump is located under the tank, on the driver's side of the car.
I visited England in 1983, and was able to attend a TR Drivers' Club test
day at Goodwood. The Lucas pumps didn't seem to like the heat, even mounted
under the tank. One of the guys had to throw cold water on his pump so the
car would start. This may have something to do with the type of pump. I
have an electric fuel pump located in the same location of my US spec TR6
and have never had a vapor lock problem.

Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U
66 TR4A CT52499
Highland Park, IL