More on Rear End Noise

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: More on Rear End Noise
From: Thomas Howard <howard@lsschools.k12.ca.us>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 11:51:21 -0800
Well....   Last week I have intemittent rear end noise.   I throught it to
be a wheel bearing.   'and so it was.

I pulled the read end down today.   Found that left-inside bearing was dry
and had "just" begun to spin on the inside race, hub.

That is the question.  There is a little wear on the inside bearing surface
on the wheel hub.  How much is too much?    Hubs are hard to find and cost
a lot.  I don't want another if this one is "OK".

I started with the "ship wright thing".   I ordered Bearings, Seals,
Rotoflex, U-joints and brake hoses for the rear from John Kipping.   Now
the only questions are how much ware is too much, and how to get the
outside bearing races off of the hub.

(say, anyone want a pair of perfectly good used Rotoflex doughnuts?   I
just could not bring myself to take it all down and put back the same
"fine" rubber.)

Tom Howard
'72 GT6 (and a good bit of USA iron)
Lakeside Union School District