RE: Tools - HVLP Guns ?

To: "'Malcolm Walker'" <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Subject: RE: Tools - HVLP Guns ?
From: RCB2 <rcb2@bmscom.ca>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 20:44:52 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Malcolm

We'll I bought it at the KMS Tools clearance center on Brunette Ave. in
Coquitlam. ($89.00) It is manufactured by Astro Pneumatic Tool Co., a
cheap Taiwanese tool mfg'r. I have owned a conventional DeVelbiss gun
for years, as well as two other Taiwanese models which are of equal
performance / value for home shop use. Why I wanted a High Volume Low
Pressure (HVLP) gun, was that they are perported to have superior
atomization characteristics, as well as a lot less overspray. Less over
spray translates into savings when using costly products. All being
accomplished via the pressurized pot employed with the HVLP Gun. These
guns have much lower pressure at the Cap, (10-15) lbs. as opposed to a
prerequisite (40+) lbs. for conventional siphon feed guns. While line
pressure is bleed off to pressurize the pot, I'm not sure if they will
operate well with line pressure significantly lower than normal (40+
lbs.). In short, I'm not sure if they will operate with less line
pressure than conventional guns. Most Guns require a compressor of at
least 3-5 HP, once again, maybe an HVLP gun will get by with less.

hope I've been of some help

rcb