Re: Tools - HVLP Guns ?

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: Tools - HVLP Guns ?
From: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 17:18:38 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Trevor Boicey wrote:

> RCB2 wrote:
> > Most Guns require a compressor of at
> > least 3-5 HP, once again, maybe an HVLP gun will get by with less.
>
>   Actually, a good HVLP gun will require a *LOT* of
> compressor, more than most people have anyways and
> certainly more than a high pressure gun.
>
>   In a nutshell, HVLP guns can be used for automotive
> paint finishing as long as you use the really high
> end ($400+) guns, have a giant compressor, and a
> lot of skill. The cheap HVLP guns will not produce
> a satisfactory finish.
>
>   HVLP guns require more experience adjusting and
> using them than conventional guns, in order to
> produce a quality finish. Not recommended for the
> beginner.
>
>   For a quick primer, visit:
>
> http://www.horizonweb.com/wwwboard/Spray_101/wwwboard.html
>
>   ...and read anything that has HVLP in the title.
>
> --
> Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
> tboicey@brit.ca, ICQ #17432933
> http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/

Trevor, I could not disagree with you more on all points, I paid 550.00
for the "COMPLETE" system, compressor, gun and two needles, it requires 6
PSI of air, it is almost impossible to make a mistake unless you stop
moving the gun, the results are just great, any mistakes (minor) can be
corrected within the hour as the paint drier in about 30 min. With
conventional air/gun setup 1 gal. of paint is needed to paint a small
car, with HVLP 2 qts. are needed, I can paint in my driveway and get very
good results. HVLP is the very best there is on the market, I guess thats
why the vast majority of shops are now using it, I very seldom disagree
with you, but someone gave you bad advice on this one.   "FT"