Re: Tools - HVLP Guns ?

To: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: Tools - HVLP Guns ?
From: Jack McCarrick <jmccarr@ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 03:50:11 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
My impression of the HVLP technology is that the key word is VOLUME.  That's
the reason the 3-5 HP compressor issue comes up.  While the pressure may be
lower at the nozzle more air volume is used to push the paint.  Having just
bought a new compressor the marketing trick lately seems to be stressing the
HP of the motor.   If you read closely you will find that the output volume of
air in CFM varies significantly by price point for the same HP motor.  If you
need volume for HVLP, sandblasting or certain air tools check the air volume
requirements carefully.

I currently have an older Wagoneer HVLP gun that I've never had any success
with automotive paints.  This unit has it's own turbine rather than using a
compressor.  The references I've seen for automotive paints and HVLP point to
an output requirement greater than the old turbine can produce.  I will
probably switch to a compressor based HVLP for the car and keep the older unit
for woodworking.

Paint is not my technology.  Like many on the list I'm struggling to find out
what works and what doesn't.