Re: Tools - HVLP Guns ?

To: Jack McCarrick <jmccarr@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: Tools - HVLP Guns ?
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 12:17:08 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Sat, 22 Aug 1998, Jack McCarrick wrote:

> My impression of the HVLP technology is that the key word is VOLUME.  That's
> the reason the 3-5 HP compressor issue comes up.  While the pressure may be
> lower at the nozzle more air volume is used to push the paint.  Having just
> bought a new compressor the marketing trick lately seems to be stressing the
> HP of the motor.   If you read closely you will find that the output volume of
> air in CFM varies significantly by price point for the same HP motor.  If you
> need volume for HVLP, sandblasting or certain air tools check the air volume
> requirements carefully.

Hmm.  I thought the V in HVLP means "Velocity"- the paint comes out of the
gun faster...?

I'll have to look this up.  My brother learned how to paint in the Navy,
and he's coming out to my place this weekend.  I'll have to quiz him :-)

> I currently have an older Wagoneer HVLP gun that I've never had any success
> with automotive paints.  This unit has it's own turbine rather than using a
> compressor.  The references I've seen for automotive paints and HVLP point to
> an output requirement greater than the old turbine can produce.  I will
> probably switch to a compressor based HVLP for the car and keep the older unit
> for woodworking.

For not much money I can get a LVLP ;-) gun... I think it's $40-$50.
Might be enough to put a skin o' paint over the TR4 (enough to stop the
rust from returning)

-Malcolm