Re: Starter gone kaput

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Starter gone kaput
From: kinderlehrer@mindspring.com (Kinderlehrer's)
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 23:25:25 -0400 (EDT)
Alan,

You may be getting more help than you bargained for, but since Ive gotten
more experience than I really wanted with starters, I'll add one more thing
to check.

  If the battery and all connections checkout and crossing the terminals on
the solenoid doesn't produce results, try turning the engine over by hand.
This is easy to do on my TR3 since I have a crank.  I used to be able to do
it on bigger engines by putting pressure on the fan belt with one hand to
prevent it from slipping and pushing/pulling on the fan with the other.  If
the engine won't budge, you may have a jammed starter gear.  Some starters
have an exposed shaft at the end you can turn with a wrench to unstick it.
Or you can put the car in 4th and rock it until it disengages.

If you do go for rebuilding your existing starter, make sure the rebuilder
has experience with Lucas starters (it is a Lucas on the TR4, isn't it?) If
he goes "Lucas? Ugh!" go somewhere else.  When you get it back, make sure
that there is no slack in the shaft.  I'm learning this the hard way.

Good luck.

Bob