Re: Starter gone kaput

To: Alan Camhi <camhi@symbol.com>
Subject: Re: Starter gone kaput
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 11:45:41 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Thu, 14 May 1998, Alan Camhi wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Well...got insurance(245/year at Parish) and will be registering next week.
>Last night I go out to my TR4 and start fiddling with the carbs.  No problem.
>In the process Inotice may fan belt is loose.  I tighten it. Again no problem.
>
> Go to start the car and i get one crank and then a whole lot of electic
>clicks(sound like a relay opening and closing).

Must be the solenoid working.  No Starter moter whirring.

        1st check your connections, next make sure the car is out of gear
        and with a huge wire bridge the gap directly to the motor, manually.
        If no response pull the starter motor and try it again on the floor
        with jumper cables (neg to the flange pos to the hot lead). If you
        get no response, turn the armature and try again. If still no
        response have a peek at the commutator barrel. If its grotty You
        may want to pull the cap on the back side of the starter and have
        at it with an emery cloth. Take a look at the brushes and their
        condition (I think you can buy the brushes from somewhere if they're
        bad). If after you've done all that and it STILL doesn't work, take
        it to a starter/generator repair shop. Around here they charge about
        $65-80 for a rebuild on your unit.

        If you want something "non standard" for a replacement Ted
        Schumacher sells an adapted Nissan starter that is 2/3rd the
        size and weight wit at least 2X the power of the original For
        a little over $200. THAT would permanently solve the starter
        situation.

  Just once I'd like to feel good about this car for more than a day at a
  time.  I'd like to enjoy her for at least a week before something else
  breaks on her.

        Aversity builds character... Sometime I'll tell you about "doing
        a favor for a friend" which turned into a study in Shipwright's
        Sydrome

        Hang in there Alan

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois