Re: powder-coat

To: db10782@insync.net
Subject: Re: powder-coat
From: Justin Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Sat, 09 May 1998 23:00:50 -0700
Cc: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>, Triumph News Group <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Doug,

SINCE the home product has come out... I've run into a LOT of people
praising the quality of the results... and a lot of people mentioning
how they did a part at home for a fraction of what the pro shops
wanted...I'm sorry, maybe I missed something in my business school
background... but when someone comes along and offers a home product
that can do for $5.00 what the local "pro's" want $60.00 or more for...
I'd say... it's a threat... a multi-million dollar threat...

Right now it's $24.00/lb... but already... enthusiasts are banning
together to buy the material in quantity... in time... it will probably
be available at Home Depot... along with the applicator...

I do agree that PREP is important here... but even the advertisement in
EASTWOOD shows a sandblasted "before" part... and explains that it needs
to be prepped well...  To suggest that the home auto enthusiasts...
would not know how to follow directions and prep a part is sort of
misplaced... I mean... these guys take engines apart and put them back
together again... they... WE... know all about various media blasting...
and auto paint prep procedures......

I can't see how a few people screwing up the home process are going to
extend that disappointment into the entire powdercoat industry!  The
quality of the professional powder coat industry is already known and
accepted...  If anything... bad experiences with the home product would
only bolster the professional business!  But I don't think those bad
experiences that you're suggesting are going to be the rule... they are
going to be the exception.  When an enthusiast screws up a part, due to
bad prep... he'll sandblast the part, and follow the directions the
second time around.

I think there was a "mystery and magic" to this process that was closely
held, in general, (not necessarily a conspiracy though!) to keep the
enthusiasts coming back, time and time again, to pay big bucks for what
was ultimately, an inexpensive process.

Your first post almost made it sound like we should all disregard the
home product and stand by our local professionals... regardless of the
costs involved... it was difficult to see it as a post that was just
trying to protect us from disapointment.  Maybe it's just how I read
it.  It seems to me... that if you really care about all your "fellow
hobbists" ... you'd be offering up the powder to sell, in smaller
minimum quanities, at prices much better than Eastwood!  Secondly...
you'd be including with your powder supplies, perhaps, clear directions
on how to get optimum results at home.  Or maybe you could have a
website where enthusiasts could download these recommendations... (that
are, perhaps, more extensive than EASTWOOD's directions) along with some
sources for the powder... (maybe not directly from you, the
manufacterer, but from some of your distributors!)   Wouldn't this be
the better approach?  Or did I, once again, miss something?

--Justin