Re: powder-coat

To: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Subject: Re: powder-coat
From: Justin Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Sat, 09 May 1998 08:58:15 -0700
Cc: Triumph News Group <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Hey Fred...

The home powder coating is a huge threat to the powder coating
industry...  I think this V.P. is just responding to that threat.

The local powder coat companies had a monopoly on powder coating... so
it was easy for them to say $100.00 minimum... it forced people to put
together a big order.  Less paper work and less time involved with the
transaction = more profit.  While these companies make a lot of their
money on production line type processes (filling orders for big
manufactuers)... I'm sure a lot of these companies found that a chunk of
their bread and butter is the car enthusiasts...  as they could fill all
the gaps in their production line...  with little jobs that we
enthusiasts were willing to pay big bucks for...

Someone on here, maybe it was you... mentioned doing the home powder
coating on a small part for like an estimated $5.00 in cost... when the
local powder coat company wanted $60.00!!! (or something like that)

With that sort of price difference... of course the enthusiasts are
going to run to the home kits... and many with the home kits will now do
it for their buddies...  the powder coat industry will either have to
lower their prices... or lose big time.  and they know it.

Whether Mr. Bach is correct... that it's an "industrial process"...  I
doubt it matters... $5.00 vs. $60.00... somehow I doubt that the quality
of the industrial process is 1200% better than the home process... and
the home hobbiest isn't powder coating F-15 parts...  He's just looking
for something better than Krylon.

The home powder coating is taking the mystery and magic out of the
process...  bad for them... good for us.

--Justin