Re: powder-coat

To: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Subject: Re: powder-coat
From: Doug Bach <db10782@insync.net>
Date: Sat, 09 May 1998 23:18:35 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, british-cars@Autox.Team.Net
fred thomas wrote:

>>Doug, what com. are you the V.P.?

Herberts-O'Brien Inc.  We produce the coatings, and sell to applicators, both
OEMs
and custom coaters.

>>I may be incorrect but like most
>>hobbiest when very good products come along with a way of saving a lot of
>>money I'm all for it. On small auto related items this home kit is very
>>usefull, and the larger industrial shops don't want this business anyway.
>>My local shop that I did business with a few years ago charges 100.00 to
>>do any amount of nuts and bolts, their reasoning, they are to much
>>trouble and if I charge enough people will not bring them to me, I don't
>>want that business anyway. So where do I take my nuts & bolts as I do not
>>have 100.00 for a 5.00 job. Yes there is a need for these kits as well as
>>a place for attitudes like my ex-local shop.

I understand what you are saying, and do sympathize.  However, I'd guess that
the
reason for your interest in powder coatings is related to the performance and
appearance typically related to powder coating.  My point is that you probably
won't achieve the kind of performance of associated with powder coatings with a
home application.  The actual coating is only one step in the process.  Without
the proper pretreatment and curing conditions powder coatings won't perform any
better than liquid coatings, and may well provide inferior performance.  Powder
coatings need a clean, properly pretreated (or blasted) substrate to work well.
Additionally, since these are thermoset coatings, they must be fully cured to
yield good performance.  I wasn't attempting to say that you absolutely wouldn't
be happy with the results you may get, but that you should be aware that it's
not
just a matter of spraying powder on a part, baking it for a while, and getting a
finish equal to that off a production line which may represent a $500,000 (for a
small line) or more investment.

We are very sensitive to the fact that we have made strong inroads in the
finishing industry based on the performance of powder coatings, and don't want
get a bad rap when it's advertised as a process suitable for home use.  We don't
like unhappy customers, and that was the reason for my post.  I've been in the
business for 27 years, and have seen more horror stories than I like to recall.

>>Where is your shop located??

Our headquarters are in Houston, and we also have facilities in Hilliard, Ohio,
and Monterrey, Mexico.  Globally we have 17 plants throughout the world.

Regards,

Doug Bach