Re: Head/head gasket

To: jantoms@vbe.com
Subject: Re: Head/head gasket
From: James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 12:07:51 +0000
Cc: stu.jo@ibm.net, triumph owners digest <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
I believe it to be very important to replace cylinder head bolts,
if you torque them up, then turn them x degrees more.  This is
done on most modern cylinder heads.  I think it is not so vital
if the cylinder head bolts do not have to be tightened by x
degrees farther.  These bolts should not be stretched when torqued.

Have you noticed that cars which specify torquing and turning
by x degrees are less likely to have a blown head gasket than
the old fashioned method.

I would however replace them as a matter of course anyway, but
that's just belt a braces.

--
James Carpenter
Yellow '79 spit wired by a trained marmot