Head/head gasket

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Head/head gasket
From: "William West" <will_thane@email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 11:03:55 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
Hello!

Well, my 1500 cylinder head is back at home after its short stay in the
machine shop emergency room, with a new helicoil where the water pump bolts
up and a nice, shiny, resurfaced face (seems she was warped a wee-little
bit----four thousands out).

On Saturday, I'll be putting her all back together again.  Having heard head
gasket replacement horror stories over and over again, I was hoping that
some of you would share some of your sure fire, no mistakes tricks for
proper installation on the first time around.

Any thoughts on sealant (should anything be used or is it always better to
use no sealant on head gaskets)? Surface preparation(dry? light sheen of
oil?) Torquing tricks (I've heard people say that it is better to torque to
half the specification first, and then tighten to full specs.)

Thanks in advance!
Will
"What's the point in livin' unless you're living wild?"