Re: Head/head gasket

To: "William West" <will_thane@email.msn.com>, Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Head/head gasket
From: The Solomon Organization <ab096@oak-web.washington-ch.oh.us>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 20:53:13 -0500
At 11:03 AM 2/20/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Hello!

I was hoping that some of you would share some of your sure fire, no
mistakes tricks for proper installation on the first time around.

>Any thoughts on sealant (should anything be used or is it always better to
use no sealant on head gaskets)? Surface preparation(dry? light sheen of
oil?) Torquing tricks (I've heard people say that it is better to torque to
half the specification first, and then tighten to full specs.)

>Thanks in advance!
>Will
>"What's the point in livin' unless you're living wild?"

Will
No sealant, dry, be sure block surface is flat and clean (use a metal
straight edge and feeler gauges to check at variouse cross sections)watch
the right side up and front facing directions on gasket,clean threads (both
ends if screw in studs, lightly oil stud when screwed into block (careful
not to nick it or over tighten as you can weaken them), light oil on top
threads, be sure nuts have clean threads, install gasket, install head
(careful not to damage mating surfaces) hand tighten nuts (no wrenches or
sockets), torque about 1/4 way in proper sequence (see Haynes or other
manuals), tighten to 1/2 in proper sequence, then to 3/4 and then go to
full torque (...in proper sequence).  This will ensure even torquing of the
head and a good seal if all else is well.  Do the rocker pedestals in the
same manner.  Remember that oiled threads will give a torque reading that
is actually lower than a dry torque by maybe 10-20% ( I think...others may
have more accurate estimate).

Happy motoring

Tom Hoskinson
79 Spit