Re: Head/head gasket

To: "Thomas A. Strange" <jantoms@vbe.com>
Subject: Re: Head/head gasket
From: Allen Nugent <A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 13:35:50 +1100 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Tom,

At 18:52 20/02/98 -0800, you wrote:

>I agree fully with Dean.  NO SEALANT ON A HEAD GASKET......  If you want
>to use something, one old timers trick is to spray a coat of aluminum
>paint on both sides of the gasket ...

I always thought sealant was essential. I've done a Mazda, a Toyota, and 2
Triumph heads. The last one was with copper gasket spray (the gasket failed
in 8 months, but I think that was because I re-torqued it hot instead of
cold; didn't study the manual carefully enough).

I suppose it depends on the head. The Dolomite (TR7, Stag) engine has those
angled studs, which must mean uneven stress on either side, and these make
it especially sensitive to head-fitting technique.

One of the guys in TSOA(NSW) removed and refitted his Sprint head at the
racetrack, using the old gasket (!) with copper gasket spray. He continued
racing, and I think he even won one.

Any comments?

Allen Nugent
Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering
University of New South Wales
Sydney  2052  Australia