Re: Oxygen sensor setup-

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: Oxygen sensor setup-
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 17:17:07 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Wed, 4 Feb 1998, Trevor Boicey wrote:

> > voltage stabilizer for the 0-1 volt range?  (obviously one has been made,
> > if the onboard computer's got one-- but can the average mortal buy it?)
>
>   Well, you could trivially build one, but I recommend buying
> that oscilloscope you always wanted and breaking it in here!

BUY?  Oh, come on!  I'd build one! ...but I gave away the last CRT (genuie
cathode ray tube- not one of those newfangled TV things!)

Darn.

Hmm... a sound-card equipped computer can almost be used as a 'scope...
<ponder>

nah.

>   (in other words, analog meters actually use power from the circuit
> to move the needle, and the signal produced from the oxygen sensor
> is too weak to move the needle. Digital meters draw almost no
> current from the circuit they measure)

Ugh.  I think you're right.  My cheap-o meter (the REAL reason why I
bought an analog) only goes down to 5V DC and 10V AC.  That means I have
1/5 of the scale to watch for 1 volt.

It can be done but you gotta squint!  Mostly I use the meter for
continuity tests anyway.

When I'm rich and famous I'll buy a Fluke or similar beast.  For now it's
the Radio Shack Special. :-(

-Malcolm