Re: rustproofing

To: Allen Nugent <A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au>
Subject: Re: rustproofing
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 17:11:48 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Allen Nugent wrote:

> >... Instead of painting the bodies of the instruments- something I haven't
> >done yet- would it be enough to smear grease over the bare metal?
>
> That will work fine. The convenience should offset the concern that if you
> ever take the instruments out again they will be revoltingly greasy gritty
> filthy.

Well, I'd rather have grease all over the place (maybe-- now that I have a
wood dash it may not be a smart move) than RUST all over the place.  Those
knurled nuts are a pain to remove when they get rusty.  Ditto for the nuts
holding the crash pads on.

Also the revoltingly greasy gritty stuff will stop clever theives from
reaching in behind and swiping all my gauges ;-)

I think I'll only coat the gauges with grease; everything else got a coat
of paint already.

-Malcolm
'62 TR4