Re: Oxygen sensor setup-

To: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: Oxygen sensor setup-
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 1998 19:12:54 -0500
Cc: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Malcolm Walker wrote:
> Sounds to me like the way our fuel gauge senders work.  Can you get a
> voltage stabilizer for the 0-1 volt range?  (obviously one has been made,
> if the onboard computer's got one-- but can the average mortal buy it?)

  Well, you could trivially build one, but I recommend buying
that oscilloscope you always wanted and breaking it in here!

> >   With a fast sampling meter you just get unreadable noise, with
> > a slow sampling meter you get somewhat random samplings that are
> > hard to correlate.
>
> That's why I bought me a good 'ol analog meter... better for trends

  The trouble is that the input impedance of the analog meter is
so low it won't likely read at all.

  (in other words, analog meters actually use power from the circuit
to move the needle, and the signal produced from the oxygen sensor
is too weak to move the needle. Digital meters draw almost no
current from the circuit they measure)

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada