Re: Cleaning Elec. Connections

To: Trevor Jordan <tjordan@pa.ausom.net.au>
Subject: Re: Cleaning Elec. Connections
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 17:48:05 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Ed Hutchinson <hutch837@juno.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
> There is also a product called Microscrub which is used in the electronics
> industry.  It is grey in colour and feels a bit like the soft half of
> Velcro.  Its purpose is to remove the dirt and corrosion from contacts
> without destroying the protective plating.

Are the contacts in our LBCs plated?  I thought they were solid metal (not
sure WHICH metal, o' course...)

How does microscrub work?  Is it an abrasive or a chemical?  (or both?)

> Abrasives like sandpaper and wire brushes may clean the connectors well,
> but if they also remove the protective surface of the contact, they may be
> only a short-term solution.  These connectors have taken 20 to 30 years to
> deteriorate; for reliability, either clean them gently or replace them.
> Keep the sandpaper for emergency repairs.

I guess I'll have to add an addendum::

-Use only v. fine sandpaper (600+) unless the contact is very corroded
-Afterwards apply a dielectric grease (maybe just Vaseline...?) to stop
repeat offences

My turn signal switch was badly gummed up with corrosion.  I used a
rougher sandpaper to get them to work.  I am going to polish them up
properly now that the column is out of the car.

-Malcolm