Galv. primer & painting aluminum

To: The Usual Suspects <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Galv. primer & painting aluminum
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 17:40:24 -0800 (PST)
I'd like to paint my steering column after I rebush it... I do have a
small pot of rust paint (house brand at Canadian Tire)-- it says to prime
aluminum with a galvanising primer before painting...!

I don't think this would work out... the only galv. paint I know of leaves
a rough finish (I think you have to hot-dip parts to get that smooth
"frosted-window" galv. fisish, a la playground slides)

Should I bother with the primer?  I know that lots of paint will flake off
aluminum without much encouragement.

I would like to have it gloss black to accent the other flat black/chrome/
wood grain things found nearby on the dash.

Any suggestions?