Re: Cleaning Elec. Connections

To: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>, Ed Hutchinson <hutch837@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Cleaning Elec. Connections
From: Trevor Jordan <tjordan@pa.ausom.net.au>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 10:00:49 +1100
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
At 6:34 +1100 30/1/98, Malcolm Walker wrote:
>On Wed, 28 Jan 1998, Ed Hutchinson wrote:
>
>> I've been forced to clean some of the electrical connections
>> on my TR6.  Using a small wire brush does a pretty quick
>> job on the male ends. However, it is a pain in the butt to
>> clean the female ends. Is there a liquid which would clean
>> the connectors? If not, I think I will replace the connectors
>> rather than struggle cleaning them with a brush.
>
>These are bullet-type connectors, right?  If so, then you can glue a bit
>of sandpaper (wetordry, 200-600 grit) to a match stick or bamboo skewer
>and stick in inside.  spin it around a few times and you should polish up
>the connector nicely.
>
>You can also get tiny burrs or wire brushes for Dremel tools.  They're
>expensive for the size but they do a good job.
>
>I always like the photo they have of a dremel tool polishing the
>(outside!) of an automotive manifold... they don't tell you that it takes
>about a week to get a nice finish with a dremel!  And that you burn out
>the wire brush very quickly...
>
>-Malcolm

There is also a product called Microscrub which is used in the electronics
industry.  It is grey in colour and feels a bit like the soft half of
Velcro.  Its purpose is to remove the dirt and corrosion from contacts
without destroying the protective plating.

Abrasives like sandpaper and wire brushes may clean the connectors well,
but if they also remove the protective surface of the contact, they may be
only a short-term solution.  These connectors have taken 20 to 30 years to
deteriorate; for reliability, either clean them gently or replace them.
Keep the sandpaper for emergency repairs.

Trevor Jordan
74 TR6 CF29281U