Re: powder-coat

To: Vito Pacione <vito@argohouston.com>
Subject: Re: powder-coat
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 12:58:46 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi Listers;

We shoudn't lose sight of the fact that powdercoating requires the use of a
sandblaster to prepare the metal.  Before we rush out to wire our ovens,
perhaps we should check the state of our blast cabinets.  My feeling is
that while I love powdercoating, the size of parts we can do in a small
oven doesn't really save us, compared to the price of having a box full of
small bits done at the professional's shop.  If you are doing continuous
restoration, it might be justifiable but you should examine the cost of
appropriate cabinet, compressor, media, bake facility.  Compare this with
the cost of having work commercially blasted then home powdercoated,
especially when we know that the powdercoater includes blasting as part of
the price.

John