Re: powder-coat

To: Vito Pacione <vito@argohouston.com>
Subject: Re: powder-coat
From: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 1998 17:17:38 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Vito Pacione wrote:

> This is a great idea, but a real concern I have is getting it from wherever
> you paint it into a rack or something in the oven without messing up the
> painted area. I know I don't have an oven that I can hang parts in, so I'd
> have to lay them down on the painted surface to bake them. It would smudge
> them. When they do it professionally, they are apinted in the oven, never
> touched after painting. Then they walk outside and turn on the oven.
>
> That said, I would love to be able to powder coat at home, but don't think
> it would come very good because of the logistics of moving the part and
> trying to get it into the oven and baking without touching the painted area.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas, because I'd still love to buy one if I could
> convince myself that it was realistic.
>
> At 02:03 PM 1/8/98 -0800, you wrote:
> >Listers I am sure that none of you have ever had this happen to you
> >before, BUT, called Eastwood this A.M. with their brand new catalogue in
> >hand, full color cover of home powder-coating system, sir it's on
> >"BACK-ORDER", they have not arrived yet, about 2/3 weeks. I had no idea
> >Eastwood also sold LBC parts !!

Vic, I do not have the answers to any of that yet, but I'm sure Eastwood
would not be selling them if it could not be completed properly. The
shops I have been to have a spray room then a heat room. They recycle
from the spray room all that falls on the floor, which is usually
hanging-up to be sprayed, the charge is magnetic so handling is not so
important once the item is charged. Some fellows in our club made their
own system and baked it in a rented stor-all garage, worked fine and look
good.