RE: Trans plug

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Trans plug
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 12:55:14 -0700
> -----Original Message-----
> From: mike@spitfire.stortek.com [SMTP:mike@spitfire.stortek.com]
> Sent: Thursday, January 08, 1998 12:37 PM
> To:   Triumphs@autox.team.net
> Subject:      Re: Trans plug
>
> Two words:    Vice Grips
> Two more words: New Drain Plug

I have had my tunnel cover off for some time now and before I replace it
(and the interior etc.) I plan on adding an access hole to the tunnel
cover. My plug is not a problem and with the right size 8pt socket
(5/16" or 3/8"?) comes out just fine. But getting to it with the
interior in the car is a huge drag. I was planning on using one the
floorboard type rubber plugs to seal the access hole once I cut it. With
this hole in place, all I will need to do to fill the gearbox will be to
remove the driver side "kidney" panel and peel back the carpet to expose
the rubber plug. Pull out the plug and the 8pt socket should allow easy
removal of the gearbox fill plug. Then a few strokes of the gear oil
pump should do the trick nicely.

I will report back to the list once I do this - won't be for a while
cause although on Dec 25 I went for a long drive sans top, winter has
finally come to Alberta and it is time to think about snowboarding on
the weekends (about time too!).

BTW, the 8pt socket is a great tool to have for this and the diff plugs.
My oil pan plug takes a normal 6pt socket cause I converted to the
magnetic plug there. Definitely use the 8pt (or 4pt) socket if you get
new drain plug. That will surely prevent the rounding off in the future.

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada