Re: Spitfire radiator hose again

To: Brian Harper <brian@ati.com>
Subject: Re: Spitfire radiator hose again
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 12:24:39 +0500 (EST)
Cc: Zink <zink@pdq.net>, "Atwell (Buff) Haines" <carbuff@scooter.net>, curry@wolfenet.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Tue, 18 Nov 1997, Brian Harper wrote:

> I'm new to Spitfires, but it appears that there is some difference between
> the 1500 motor/motormounts and the earlier motor or motormounts, and the
> 1500 version rubs or almost rubs the hose. Because you have an earlier car
> perhaps you can't even see why this would be a problem. On my car the lower
> radiator outlet points right at the motormount, and is just a few inches away.

There's no difference that I know of between "early" and "late" Spitfires
in either the engine mount itself or the basic layout of the engine
block/mounting plate and related components. What might account for some
of the clearance problems in later Spitfires is the use of the narrower
radiator on the later cars (late 1500s are still another story) as opposed
to the "full-width" radiator used up to and perhaps including some Mk.3
Spitfires.

Just a guess.

--Andy