Re: Spitfire radiator hose again

To: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>, Brian Harper <brian@ati.com>
Subject: Re: Spitfire radiator hose again
From: "Douglas Mitchell" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 13:11:54 -0500 "Re: Spitfire radiator hose again" (Nov 18, 10:06am)
Cc: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>, Zink <zink@pdq.net>, "Atwell (Buff) Haines" <carbuff@scooter.net>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
> Subject: Re: Spitfire radiator hose again
[snip]

> Brian,
> No, maybe I was unclear on that point.  I swapped engines (1500) but use
> the original radiator.  My point was that because there must be (and
> apparantly is according to Andy's Message) a difference in the
> radiators, that must be the reason for the hose problem.  I have not had
> the time (or reference car) to do a 1 on 1 comparison of the actual
> differences to come to any concrete conclusions.  As of now it's all
> speculation.  The only "real" facts I have now is the hose does contact
> the mount.
>
> Regards,
> Joe Curry   '63 Spit
>-- End of excerpt from Joe Curry

There were at least three different radiators used in the Spit
over the years. I am not sure about the first series nor the Mk II,
but the MK III and MKIV  used a radiator that was quite wide. (I am
at work and don't have the dimensions off hand). The early 1500s
('73 - '75(I think)) used a narrower radiator. From '76 to '79?
they went back to a wide rad again. Then in the '79/'80 models
they used yet a different design. The cars with the narrow rads
had a formed lower hose, as did the latter cars. I am not sure
if the early cars had the formed hoses, but you might check out
the later hoses.

Doug Mitchell
dmitchel@ismi.net
dmitchel@ford.com