Re: Spitfire radiator hose again

To: curry@wolfenet.com, "Atwell (Buff) Haines" <carbuff@scooter.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire radiator hose again
From: "Atwell (Buff) Haines" <carbuff@scooter.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 23:16:18
Cc: Brian Harper <brian@ati.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
At 10:49 AM 11/15/97 -0800, Joe Curry wrote:

>> Brian,
>>
>> When I replaced my hoses (obtained from Moss), the hose you mentioned DID
>> contact the motor mount.  No amount of finagling or repositioning could
>> eliminate that contact.
>>
>> I installed a large cable tie (about 3/4'' wide) on the hose.  Now the
>> cable tie will chafe, not the hose.
>>
>I waited out of curiosity before throwing my 2 cents into this issue.
>Mainly because my 63 Spit sports a 1500 engine but retains the original
>radiator.  I figured that was the reason my own lower hose tries to
>touch the right front engine mount. "Better to be thought a fool than to
>open your mouth and remove all doubt"  But maybe it is not that
>uncommon!..
>
>At any rate, I resolved the problem by cutting off a piece of hard but
>pliable rubber about 1/8" thick and attached it to the contact point
>using the old reliable nylon cable ties.  It keeps the rubber in place
>and puts the wear on the rubber not the hose.

Here's some more insight:   the hose contacts the engine's motor mount
bracket.  No way could a sagging motor mount cause this interference. The
aftermarket hoses must not be exactly right.  (The original Triumph hose
that I removed did not rub)

I looked at that hose for several hours while replacing my right front
suspension today.  (Sure beats contemplating your navel.)

Atwell Haines

79 Spitfire