Re: spit 1500 rear wheel chamber

To: spitfire1500@named.dalton.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: spit 1500 rear wheel chamber
From: "Jonathan Miles" <MILESJE@novell2.bham.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 13:26:33
> > Michael,
> >
> > Something is very wrong if you have positive camber on a 1500. The
> > camber should be slightly negative with a new spring, becoming
> > increasingly so with age, especially on the drivers side.
> > My guess is that you have the wrong drive shafts. They were shorter
> > on mark IV cars (and early 1500's?) and these are often fitted by
> > DPO's by mistake. You need to measure them up. I think that I have
> > the measurements somewhere. If you need them get back to me.
> >
> > Jonathan
> >
> > Spit. 1500
> >

> If the driveshafts were TOO short, there would be an EXCESS of NEGATIVE
> camber.  There would be negative camber because the trunnions are below
> the axleshaft, hence the pivot point is below and a shorter axle will
> pull the wheels inward towards the top.
>
> A DPO may have fitted an OLDER swing spring setup from a pre 1500.  This
> would result in a one inch decrease per side in track.  Then another
> owner, not necesarily a DPO, found those axles to be bad, so replaced
> with axles for a 1500.  Hence, the longer axles of the 1500 would push
> the tops of the wheels out, since the pivot point is below the
> axleshaft, creating positive camber.   It's a long shot, but entirely
> possible, considering the age of our LBCs.
>
> Hope this may shed some light!
>
> Ron N.
> Dalton, Ga
> http://member.dalton.net/~spitfire1500
> 77 Spitfire 1500 - undergoing cajones transplant - FM66513UO
> 62? Vitesse/Sports 6 convertible - HB5635LCV
> 92 Ford Tempo GLS V6 (Ultimate Q-ship!) - 1FAPP38U1NK150073

Surely if the drive shafts are too short, and are beneath the spring
which locates the top of the vertical link. Then the base of the
wheels will be pulled in resulting in positive camber.  This
is why mk IV's have more positive camber than 1500's, the drive
shafts are shorter on the mk IV but the rest of the suspension is
identical. How do you explain this?

Jonathan

spit 1500

*************************************