Re: spit 1500 rear wheel chamber

To: Jonathan Miles <MILESJE@novell2.bham.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: spit 1500 rear wheel chamber
From: Spitfire 1500 <spitfire1500@named.dalton.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 08:23:08 -0500
Cc: mgx@icesar.epm.ornl.gov, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Jonathan Miles wrote:

> > good day ...
> >
> > my '78 spitfire 1500 has 0 or slightly positive rear wheel
> > chamber. does that indicate the rear spring is weak? if it
> > is, can the spring be re-curved or should i just opt for
> > a new spring.
> >
> > -- michael galloway
> >    '78 spitfire
>
> Michael,
>
> Something is very wrong if you have positive camber on a 1500. The
> camber should be slightly negative with a new spring, becoming
> increasingly so with age, especially on the drivers side.
> My guess is that you have the wrong drive shafts. They were shorter
> on mark IV cars (and early 1500's?) and these are often fitted by
> DPO's by mistake. You need to measure them up. I think that I have
> the measurements somewhere. If you need them get back to me.
>
> Jonathan
>
> Spit. 1500

If the driveshafts were TOO short, there would be an EXCESS of NEGATIVE
camber.  There would be negative camber because the trunnions are below
the axleshaft, hence the pivot point is below and a shorter axle will
pull the wheels inward towards the top.

A DPO may have fitted an OLDER swing spring setup from a pre 1500.  This
would result in a one inch decrease per side in track.  Then another
owner, not necesarily a DPO, found those axles to be bad, so replaced
with axles for a 1500.  Hence, the longer axles of the 1500 would push
the tops of the wheels out, since the pivot point is below the
axleshaft, creating positive camber.   It's a long shot, but entirely
possible, considering the age of our LBCs.

Hope this may shed some light!

Ron N.
Dalton, Ga
http://member.dalton.net/~spitfire1500
77 Spitfire 1500 - undergoing cajones transplant - FM66513UO
62? Vitesse/Sports 6 convertible - HB5635LCV
92 Ford Tempo GLS V6 (Ultimate Q-ship!) - 1FAPP38U1NK150073