Re: To dip or not to dip?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: To dip or not to dip?
From: KVacek@aol.com
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 07:50:05 -0400
To all who replied to this with the info. about boat trailer manufacturers
regularly hot-dip galvanizing their products, thank you.  I've only seen coil
galvanizing operations.  I have NO experience with boat trailers, and had no
idea.  Most boat trailers that I see are painted, and I've seen some pretty
rusty ones...

Anyway, I'm interested in this not for a TR frame, but for my entire
Amphicar.  This is REALLY a unibody vehicle, with only the doors, hood, and
engine compartment lid as separate, detachable, non-structural parts.  When
I'm done welding in new floors, etc., a nice coat of hot zinc would give it
great corrosion protection -- the bilge does get wet whenever you go boating.
 However, I'm concerned that the outer sheet metal may warp.  The fenders and
doors are fairly thick (perhaps 16 gauge -- I haven't miked them), so maybe
I'll experiment with a part.

-Karl