Re: To dip or not to dip?

To: Trmgafun@aol.com
Subject: Re: To dip or not to dip?
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 07:26:00 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, ron_botting@mindlink.bc.ca
On Wed, 23 Oct 1996 Trmgafun@aol.com wrote:

> With the frame?  I'd go with sandblasting hands down, there's no thin gauge
> metal to worry about warpage and sandblasting leaves an excellent paintable
> clean surface and is usually cheap by comparison.  Plus if you dip the frame,
> you've got inside that has been stripped to worry about.  Bead blasting is ok
> for thin gauge but it doesn't seem to get all of  the rust.

        I went the other way around... Dipped the frame, had the body
        blasted. There's no rust protection inside the frame (hell there
        was very little outside either). I didn't dip the body because of
        the seam caulk in inaccessible areas that would be washed out in
        the dippping process. The frame, on the other hand, was a snap.
        I borrowed a rust proofing gun from a dealer and blew rust protectant
        into every hole in the frame (I also drilled out 1/4" holes at
        the bottom of the shock towers and sprayed in there too.

        The only gripe I had with media blasting the body was that there
        was no way of gettin ALL the "media" out of the crevices... I spent
        better than an hour blowing out stuff from all the little hidden
        spaces in the TR's body and still ahd some wafting about when I
        sprayed on the primer... Nature of the beast, I suppose.

        If I was to do it again I'd probably go the same route, though.

        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois